Using diaper to pad hoof: how to determine appropriate size

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

Wearing hoof boots 24/7 creates lots of moisture which makes hooves soft even when changed daily.  Apollo also likes to stand out in rain and his boots get full of water which case on day of farrier's last trim.  Normally when his feet are soaked like this I leave boots off at night in stall with deep bedding.  Because of farrier induced injury, I'm trying to protect affected hoof using baby diaper secured with vet wrap.  Wasn't sure what size diaper to buy for his large 6-1/2" diameter feet.  Tried size 2 but seem too small.  I want to try larger size but wondering how much larger.  Any suggestions or recommendations other than trial and error?
--
Karen B.
Wisconsin

Lorna Cane

Karen, I can't answer the size question,but have been able to keep the weather out of my boy's boots fairly successfully by using gaiters over top.

Is there a diaper dimension printed on package? Maybe that would help?

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario

Hi Karen,

I'd think a size 2 would be plenty big as you're looking to cover the bottom of the foot only, not necessarily the entire hoof.  When I do a diaper wrap for an abscess the diaper may not even cover the entire bottom as I mostly want it to cover the area the abscess is in and then the rest can be just covered in vet wrap.  I can tell you that if diaper makers only knew that adding a size chart to go with the weight chart would increase their sales they might do it but alas they don't!

Shirley J.

When its wet outside, I put diapers on Olaf's feet inside his cavallo boots to absorb any moisture that leaks in.  They are good for about 1.5 - 3 hrs depending on how wet things are.  Then I bring him in, dry off his feet and put on dry boots.  He's a size 4 diaper with about a 5" foot (the 3's were a bit narrow).  Also, not sure if there's an Aldi grocery store by you, but I found them to have the cheapest diapers.

--
Shirley J. in Michigan
Joined 2020 (because what else could go wrong?)

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

Shirley,
Thanks.  We do have local Aldi's store and size 4 working with a 5" foot does help give me some idea.  I had to buy brand name because that's all farm supply store had and I didn't have time to check elsewhere.  Actually diapers, even brand name, are one of cheaper things I've needed to buy for Apollo.  However, I'd like to send bill hoof supplies to treat hoof wound to farrier who caused it!  Sadly, he hasn't even checked to see how Apollo is doing.  Said Apollo would probably be sore for a day or two. Wish that were true but probably going to be weeks for Apollo to get back to were he was before farrier trimmed. So hoof trimming 101 here I come!

Karen B.
Wisconsin
2022
Apollo Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Apollo
Photo album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=275817

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

Think you're right about size chart.  Would even be helpful for people buying diapers for humans because same weight babies can vary quite a bit in size.  Tried to remember how old/big my daughter was compared to weight on package.  Wonder about cutting current diaper in half and using that piece to cover wound area as elastic in crotch tends to pull it off hoof.  First two nights stayed on but found in shavings this morning.  Soft pads aren't holding up to Apollo's weight so tried firmer foam but he wasn't comfortable so cut new one of  softer foam again.  Unfortunately don't have a lot of it and think healing is going to take awhile.  Small piece of gauze closest to wound is still firmly attached so I didn't disturb it. It didn't come off in stall when diaper came off so that makes me think it's rather deep but obviously don't know for sure. Gauze pad hasn't changed color and only usual hoof odor noted. Apollo had tetanus booster with EWE vaccine so he's covered for that.
--
Karen B.
Wisconsin
2022
Apollo Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Apollo
Photo album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=275817

Sherry Morse

Hi Karen,

Ideally you want to do diaper covered by vet wrap covered by duct tape.  If you do that it usually will stay on.  This is a good video if you want to have a look: Equine hoof bandage video - YouTube

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

Hi Sherry,
Very helpful video.  Thanks so much.