Vera Hoof Photos

ibstitchin@...

I went out and took hoof photos, but I’m not sure how much help they will be. The vet insisted on having a farrier (not mine as she was 3 hours away) come in to trim and put on pads and reverse shoes. I didn’t take photos of Sole and Sole Plane 1, because all you can see is shoe and pad. I can have my farrier remove them tomorrow so we can get better photos. I’m not sure if requesting a Mark-up is worth it with these.
--
Lora Bannan in Eastern Oregon
Vera - 2005 TWH mare

Candice Piraino

HI Lora,

I am not sure if Lavinia has been in contact with you or not, but I see a lot in these rads here. There is some bone loss which may make it difficult for her to grow a "regular" hoof. We want to get her comfortable and heel first for her footfalls. Is your trimmer a barefoot trimmer, well educated in bone loss & metabolics? Its also just a picture in time and I don't have the entire story, so its hard to give concrete advice just from 2D photos. Is Vera sound and walking comfortable on all terrain? There are 10,000 questions I have, but most of the time I can tell you that adding a shoe package will not help a horse in the long run in my experience.
--

Candice Piraino

Primary Response Team

September 2018, Summerfield, FL

Shark's Case History

Shark's Photo Album

PHCP Barefoot Trimmer @www.arkhavenfarm.com

ibstitchin@...

Thank you for your reply Candice.

I have not been in touch with Lavinia yet. I didn’t tag her in the subject because I wasn’t sure if these photos with shoes would be helpful. My farrier did not do them. The vet called in a farrier, and I’m not happy with what was done. I’m going to call my vet and plan to have my farrier pull the shoes and pads tomorrow. She is very good with lameness issues, but is not a barefoot trimmer. She is wanting to fix the angles a bit and put on Combi pads. I just want to do whatever will make her better and more comfortable. My farrier is probably going to be joining this group and learning all she can. She didn’t know it existed

To answer your questions, she is a tough mare. She is moving sound in her run (packed dirt with rocks because they seem to grow here) and in the arena (tilled dirt with more damn rocks).
--
Lora Bannan in Eastern Oregon
Vera - 2005 TWH mare
Joined 4/2021
Case History Vera https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lora%20and%20Vera
Photos Vera https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=263692

Candice Piraino

That's great news your farrier wants to join and open to learning!

You might want to invest and try boots and pads for Vera. Just a thought!
--

Candice Piraino

Primary Response Team

September 2018, Summerfield, FL

Shark's Case History

Shark's Photo Album

PHCP Barefoot Trimmer @www.arkhavenfarm.com

ibstitchin@...

I have Renegades for my younger mare and my farrier sells Cavallos. I’m looking into what’s best for her. Thanks!
--
Lora Bannan in Eastern Oregon
Vera - 2005 TWH mare
Joined 4/2021
Case History Vera https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lora%20and%20Vera
Photos Vera https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=263692

Carla Anderson Peters

Hello Lora,
I am so very sorry that you are going through this as well.  I am going to follow, as I am going through this as well. :-(
--
Carla

December 2013, WI

Cupcake and Gunnar's Case Histories