Topics

Vet Approved Invokana for Rio

hdavis

Hello,

I spoke to my vet today and she received the info you sent her Dr. Kellon in regards to Invokana.

We also discussed testing for early PPID for Rio as well and we unfortunately are not able to do either of the early PPID tests and only ACTH.  Due to that would doing ACTH at all be helpful when she tested normal in the fall?

We did discuss upping Rio’s pergolide to 1mg as perhaps as Dr Kellon mentioned earlier her insulin is being driven up from uncontrolled PPID.

My vet is on board to try Invokana but we have some questions:

1. Can we give Invokana with Prascend?

2.  My vet is coming out next Tuesday, so would it be beneficial to pull bloods and test glucose and insulin to see if the Prascend increase has helped at all?

3.  We will also do a CBC as suggested by Dr. Kellon. If it comes back with no issues when would you suggest we start the Invokana?

4.  When would you suggest to do another glucose/insulin test to see if the Invokana is working?

5.  What dose should we start at- the higher dose?

5.  Is the use of this drug a long term/lifetime drug like pergolide or can the dose be reduced?

thanks so much and looking forward to hearing some more info on these questions.

Best wishes,

Heather

--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa Case History

 Photos

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0  .

Storm

Case History

photos

hdavis

Dr. Kellon,

I should mention my vet emailed you and you had sent her the info on Invokana and that is why she has approved it but we still have some questions.

Thanks!!
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa Case History

 Photos

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0  .

Storm

Case History

photos

hdavis

Hello,

just checking in to see if Dr. Kellon saw my questions that my vet and I have about Invokana as we are planning to start it after we do her CBC to make sure all is ok with her blood work.  Thanks and have a good weekend all.

Best wishes,

--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa Case History

 Photos

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0  .

Storm

Case History

photos

LJ Friedman

-- Until Dr. kellon answers.  a couple of comments
yes. ok with invokana and prascend/ pergolide
i use the full dose of 300 mg since august 2019
results can be seen in approximately two weeks. I don’t know if you have to rush out and test just then .
Go ahead and order those urine test strips that we use. The ones that have many colors on them. Try and test as a few times a week, be sure to sample midstream.

.
LJ Friedman  Nov 2014 Vista,   Northern  San

Diego, CA

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Sorry. I did answer this but it didn't post for some reason.

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 07:53 PM, hdavis wrote:
My vet is on board to try Invokana but we have some questions:

1. Can we give Invokana with Prascend?  Yes.

2.  My vet is coming out next Tuesday, so would it be beneficial to pull bloods and test glucose and insulin to see if the Prascend increase has helped at all?  Sure. it's always useful to try to find what is working.

3.  We will also do a CBC as suggested by Dr. Kellon. If it comes back with no issues when would you suggest we start the Invokana? I think you meant a chemistry panel, not CBC. If you're good to go on kidney function tests, start any time but remember, no bute, Banamine or Previcox.

4.  When would you suggest to do another glucose/insulin test to see if the Invokana is working? Start checking urine for glucose after a few day; repeat blood in one month.

5.  What dose should we start at- the higher dose? Yes, the higher dose

5.  Is the use of this drug a long term/lifetime drug like pergolide or can the dose be reduced?  We don't know yet and individual details might affect this. For example, if you start a regular riding program you may be able to reduce or eliminate it. Just don't know yet!

hdavis

hdavis

One more question.  Regarding the no NSAIDs, what happens if something occurs with my horse that say requires NSAIDS, can they be given them or what would be the protocol.  Thanks!!

--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa Case History

 Photos

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0  .

Storm

Case History

photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

There are very few things that actually "require" NSAIDs.  Topical theraies like cooling and wrapping can control inflammation. Devil's Claw is an excellent alternative for pain. If you need to do something like Banamine for a mild colic, the one time or short term use would be OK if care is taken to make sure the horse is well hydrated.

hdavis

Thanks Dr Kellon.  Yes I was thinking of things like colic and or god forbid we had some sort of accident/injury that occurred. Good to note about the hydration.

Also one more question, what about sedatives?  Any issue with these or if she has to have surgery for some reason and is on Invokana?  Just want to be aware of everything in case of an emergency more or less as not fun to track down the info at the last minute.  Thanks again!!
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa Case History

 Photos

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0  .

Storm

Case History

photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

No issue with sedatives or anesthesia as far as I know.

hdavis

Ok thanks!!!!

No issue with sedatives or anesthesia as far as I know.

Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa Case History

 Photos

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0  .

Storm

Case History

photos

hdavis

Hello,

I will be going to get Rio’s Invokana today and the urine strips but was wondering a few things.

1. what urine strips do I get or ask the pharmacy for?

2.  Can I just give her the meds with her hay cubes and other supplements?  Best time of day would be the am for this going forward or thoughts?
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa Case History

 Photos

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0  .

Storm

Case History

photos

LJ Friedman

you can often do a search on the website for questions like this.

I gave Invokana with a meal and Supplements, b cayse it’s convenient

a link for the strips.  10 paraneters is typical

.-- Urine Test Strip 10 Parameters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073DMKR2K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Cnt0EbE2H5R00

You can search the website to read how you should test from the urine stream and particularly which tests on the strip are of most concern.

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

hdavis

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

LJ's answers were correct. Time of day you give it isn't important just try to pick a time where it's easy for you to be consistent.

LJ Friedman

from dr kellon:

 Sample midstream, not at the very beginning or end of urination. Leucocytes and nitrites are the most sensitive indicators. Blood and protein may also be positive.
If you get a positive test, or see suggestive signs in your horse, notify your veterinarian.