Topics

vit e talk on horse.com

LJ Friedman

-- https://thehorse.com/188244/equine-essentials-the-importance-of-vitamin-e/

couple of notes. This was sponsored by elevate from Kentucky performance
   This veterinarian does not like the synthetic. Synthetic is  shown as DL. She said you often need 2,times or more than the natural., which just has the D. No doses were discussed which I found quite strange. Suggested yearly lab checks to check on vitamin D level. She prefers the oil for disease like PSSM but prefers naturals for maintenance. She said no studies were done on PPID in vitamin E.  I use Walgreens Dl  version that cost me 3 cents For 400 IU. Now company sells all natural version of D version that cost nine cents for the same amount. Thoughts on my DL and 3200 IU per day?  testing?

.

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

gypsylassie

LJ, I haven't listened to the article, but just fwiw,  the last time I checked, Walgreens brand Vit E did not contain oil, so its absorption would not be as good as the ones that do have oil.
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

LJ Friedman

Thank you for the reply. I mis Spoke when I mentioned Walgreens. I got my vitamin E from CVS and it does contain the oil

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

gypsylassie

That's what I thought, but mentioned it just in case.  I use CVS Vit e also.
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

LJ Friedman

I hope Dr. kellonbcomments on whether our synthetic vitamin E eith oil at 3200 units is as good as the natural.

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Lavinia Fiscaletti

All of the NRC recommendations are based on the synthetic version of vit E. if you use the  natural version, you can technically use less as the absorption is better

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

LJ Friedman

What is the groups thoughts on checking the vitamin E levels? This is not something that I’ve ever considered.

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Annette

I had Alley's levels checked because she seemed to have muscle weakness and soreness in addition to laminitis.  She tested low and additional Vitamin E seemed to make a big difference to her comfort level.
--
Annette and Alley
October 2018, Moscow, Idaho

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

First of all, when you buy a vitamin E product, all L or D,L, the potency in terms of IU is going to be the same. In other words, the D,L product will contain more mg than the L only product.

The next question is bioavailability - given different forms of vitamin E adjusted to have the same strength, is one absorbed better? Cutting to the bottom line, powdered E is not absorbed as well as the micellized (compounded with fat) forms that KER and others produce **but** there are no studies comparing E in oil to the other forms, except for one rat study I found that confirms the common sense thought that E in oil is well absorbed. I don't know if the more expensive products are better absorbed than E in oil but I can almost guarantee they're not 200% better.