Topics

Vitamin E

I just spent the last hour looking for information on Vitamin E. I have been using the Nature Made, 100% natural liquid softgels. I know I should be looking for vitamin E with some oil and not the synthetic ingredients. Does anyone know if I can use any of the Nature Made products? I am finding out they have different kinds of Vitamin E, but I can't find the ingredients on all of them. I think one is water soluable and costs $5 more, but not sure if there are any other differences. Also, what am I looking for when choosing the correct Vitamin E? Trying to find the most cost effective product.

Cynthia from CA
Tucker 10/10

Mandy Woods

Hi Cynthia
Many of us use www.swansonvitamins.com I get the Natural Vit E soft gel in soy oil. Horses and ponies seem to like the smaller size so I get 400ius. The Vitamin E says d-alpha tocopheryl acetate.

And many people use Puritan Vitamins. Nature Made Natural is fine as long as it has soy oil

Watch for sales. Store on the refrigerator door next to the pergolide!

Mandy in VA
EC Primary Response
OCT 2003

I am assuming Kirkland brand (Costco), is not what I want since it does not have soy oil. This is the ingredient list:

dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Gelatin, Glycerin, Water.

Please confirm.

Cynthia Boriskin from CA
Tucker 10/10

Mandy Woods

You must add oil if you buy from Costco. Why not just get the Vit E with soy oil already in it? The horse's body needs the oil to carry the E and its one less step for you.
Mandy in VA

I am assuming Kirkland brand (Costco), is not what I want since it does not have soy oil. This is the ingredient list:

dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Gelatin, Glycerin, Water.

Please confirm.

I just want to confirm this is what I can use. I have a 1000 lb horse so, I can use 2 pills of this:
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-natural-vitamin-e-1000-iu-250-sgels

Thanks for your suggestion. I should have done this a long time ago. It's so much less expensive!

Cynthia Boriskin from CA
Tucker 10/10

Lorna <briars@...>

Hi Cynthia,

I am assuming Kirkland brand (Costco), is not what I want since it does not have soy oil.
You are correct, if there is no Soy oil in the capsules.

I find that sometimes the capsules from Costco contain soy oil, and sometimes they don't .
I keep checking because I can't beat their price anywhere.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

Lavinia <dnlf@...>

I just want to confirm this is what I can use. I have a 1000 lb horse so, I can use 2 pills of this:
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-natural-vitamin-e-1000-iu-250-sgels
Hi Cynthia,
Yup - those are perfect. I use them myself and am glad they finally have them back in stock

Lavinia, Dante, Gerge Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

Allana KERELUK

I am assuming Kirkland brand (Costco), is not what I want since it does not
have soy oil. This is the ingredient list:

dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Gelatin, Glycerin, Water.
To get the best absorption, buy the d-Alpha (which is natural vitamin E) not the dl-Alpha (which is synthetic). It's more expensive. But you can feed a little less because the horse uses a larger percentage of the Vitamin E.

Allana and Mojave Moon
Feb 2011
Northern Illinois

Nancy

Can someone please tell me the recommended dose of vitamin E for a 1250 lb. horse? Thank you!
--
Nancy Blessing
Cental Florida, USA

Cindy Q

Hi Nancy

1000 IU of Vit E per 500 lb. So for a 1250lb horse:
1250/500 * 1000 = 2500 iu daily

By the way, I think it has to be oil and not necessarily soy oil. I sometimes use a Now Foods softgel called Natural E-400 with extra virgin olive oil in it. And I also use the Swansons that is often recommended here (cheaper generally).
--
Cindy - Sep 2017, Singapore

Nancy

Thank you Cindy!
--
Nancy Blessing
Cental Florida, USA
Dec. 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Cheyenne

LJ Friedman

Price beat.  Walgreens. Buy 1 get 1.  I use the 400 iu capsules in soy.  Cost comes out to .035 per capsule.  I use 8 per day per horse.  Their buy 1 get 1 is usually almost on.   If not come back next week and stock up

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Would anyone care to comment on this option?  It is available in Australia.  The supplier claim is in 1000iU/ml.
--

Sandra Weston

Joined 6/7/2016

Leeton, NSW, Australia

Case Histories:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sandra%20and%20Molly

  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sandra%20and%20Capri

Molly’s Photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=4424

Capri's Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=4441

Maxine McArthur

Which option do you mean, Sandra? I use Cenovis Mega E capsules--however, it occurred to me this morning that the bottle does not state whether the capsules contain oil or glycerin. I have just emailed the manufacturer to inquire.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

celestinefarm

For informational purposes, here is a concise explanation of the different forms of Vit E and the amount needed per your horse's weight . This is from Nicole Sicely's website

-- https://customequinenutrition.com/blogs/nutrients/vitamin-e-just-the-facts

Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Maxine McArthur

Sandra, that looks like a topical oil for skin conditions--I don't think it's designed to be consumed.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

Maxine - you are right.  But why wouldn't it be OK?
They say "derived from highly refined vegetable oil distillates including soyabean and canola oil which undergo further refining and processing. It is manufactured using natural based raw materials."
We don't know how this oil is refined - but I don't know how the Blackmore's vitamin E Oil caps I use are made either.
If safe this would be a good option both from an economic and ease of dosage point of view. I wish I could find out more.

--

Sandra Weston

Joined 6/7/2016

Leeton, NSW, Australia

Case Histories:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sandra%20and%20Molly

  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sandra%20and%20Capri

Molly’s Photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=4424

Capri's Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=4441

LJ Friedman

Thanks for posting nicole’s info on vit e.  Walgreens uses dl.  L is less than natural.I give  3200 iu to compensate and equal about 2,000 iu.  Should i increase a bit to 4,000 iu of the dl to equal 3,000 iu natural E?

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Are we not to use Vit E with glycerin? I thought soy was an ingredient to steer clear of?

--
Nancy and Akira
3/20/2018  Burkesville KY

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Akira