voltaren topical for horse: update

Bonnie

The vet is sending Previcox, to be given the day before the appointment. I have never used it so will research the files here.

--
Bonnie and Lad
North Ontario

Sherry Morse

Hi Bonnie,

It's a NSAID so basically the same effect as Bute. You may want to add support wraps for him as well if he'll let you.  Do both back legs.

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

The best thing you can do for him is a thorough lameness exam to find out what's going on and what the treatment options are. NSAIDs don't treat anything.

I wouldnt say it has the same effect as bute. I’ve used Voltaren gel topically for arthritis pain of hands and wrists. For this human, It is no where nearly as effective as an oral NSAID to control pain, swelling and inflammation. It’s many times the inconvenience. You have to wait around  20 minutes after application with goo on you 4 times a day, not exposed to sunlight. It’s very expensive. It also says it requires some number of days (up to a week) to be effective. On the up side, it doesn’t affect the whole body as much because it’s only effective locally.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Hi Cass,

I was referring to the Previcoxx, not the Voltaren.  Totally agree with you on the issues with applying the Voltaren and waiting around when using it on yourself.  The horse version isn't that annoying fortunately.