Waiting for retest ACTH , Insulin Resistance & new Xrays


Carrie
 

Regarding bloods & timing:
I'm waiting to redo bloods for ACTH & Insulin Resistance to get a reliable result - My donkey has been uncomfortable since the last farrier trim & fitting of resins  ( 2 weeks ago) therefore I'm putting off an appointment as pain & stress would be a big factor on her results .  
When I do get retest I am hoping to get it done before the Autumn rise as I understand its difficult to chase the ACTH numbers/medicine amounts if I start medicating at that point.
On Liphook lab site  -UK (listed on ECIR as acceptable lab)  - Do you think their Autumn figures with adjusted  reference ranges ,take account of both the rise & meds compared to other labs.  If so, maybe it eliminates 'number chasing ' associated with testing at this time & allows for a more effective catch up. It says August to October testing gives greatest accuracy, but nothing about difficulty with getting figures down following a positive result. during that time. https://liphookequinehospital.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Endocrine_compressed_compressed.pdf   
My questio regarding bloods are:
Considering the above blurb , is it better the  bloods are done before the rise as previously advised? 
Could I give Bute to help with pain for her appointment or does it affect the results in some way?

 I am trying to organise so I have my vet visit me completing both ACTH  & Insulin Resistance, possibly Adipose too, following on with  Xrays. My donkey needed to have sedative to be Xrayed as she has a dislike for anything to do with vets or farriers ! 

Forgive me if  this question seems odd , it may be that I'm going round in circles in my thoughts...over thinking !

Waiting for Xrays:
I want to book another set of Xrays for both front feet as I suspect that Lillie's RF may have sunk more since her Xrays  in April. She's got resin hand moulded on both fronts now- following vet & farrier partnership advice. Lavinia has kindly advised about the 'watch -out' care I need to take regarding trimming -overseeing the choices made for my donkey. So this is something I am trying to convey to the farrier.
My questions are :

Can X-rays be  taken while the resin is on the foot & give clear images?

Thank you in advance
Carrie
Case History updated 10.6.21 


--
Carrie 
March 2021
UK


Sherry Morse
 

Hi Carrie,

Liphook does take the rise into account but that does not eliminate chasing the rise if you wait to test until we're in the fall for the northern hemisphere and your test results exceed the normal range.  There's no such thing as an 'effective catch up' when it comes to ACTH numbers - you really do want to have your medication amount dialed in prior to August if at all possible. 

I would not advise giving bute as it can have an effect on testing.  Will see if I can dig up that reference but somebody else might have it handy.




Carrie
 

Sherry , thank you for your quick reply. This confirms I need to book the ACTH & Insulin test this month to help eliminate the issue of chasing the med numbers initially. Hopefully being able to combine my appointment for Xrays too.
--
Carrie 
March 2021
UK