Topics

Was Red has gone sore again NOW: Hand Warmers in Socks

Helen Connor

A word of caution: Some of those hand warmer products get very hot. You might try wrapping the hand warmer in something before putting it next to the skin of the leg.

Helen Connor and Blessing (IR/PPID)
Scappoose, OR

--
Helen Connor and Blessing (IR/PPID)
Scappoose, OR
Member since May 2017
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Helen%20and%20Blessing
Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6847

jonno17@...

Thank you Helen, I have taken note in case I decide to go down that route :)
--
Clarissa
November 2018-Red, Poppet

Judy and Bugsy

I was thinking of the handwarmer right in the hoofboot - between the hoofboot and wool socks. Toe warmer hot packs are a bit thinner than the hand warmer packs.
--

Judy and Bugsy

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Feb. 25, 2020

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Judy%20and%20Bugsy

Lorna Cane

I may be alone in this, but I don't think this is a good idea.
Do we know of others who have had enough experience with doing this to allay my worries?

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Frances C.

My gut feeling is that this is a bad idea - I dont trust the chemical makeup and fear that the package could break
--
- Frances C.
December 2017, Washington & California

Bearing in mind that hoofboots are supposed to fit snugly against the foot if there's enough space to fit in a hand warmer the boots may not stay on.  I'd also be concerned about the heating up of one particular spot vs. spreading heat out over an entire area.  Just my 2 cents, nothing scientific involved :-)

jonno17@...

Thank you everyone, I will steer clear of the hand warmers, I have used them once before for myself and they do become quite warm, my trimmer is coming today, he was due for his 4 week trim last week but she couldn't come because of the weather, I never even gave winter laminitis a thought to be honest as we don't have the extreme temperatures here that a lot of you folks do but we have had a lot of frosts this Winter and the day time temps have been around 4C last week including the snow which we rarely have here, maybe once every 10-15 years, I have the sheepskin boots on him and my trimmer is bringing some hoof boots with her today so he's more comfortable, his scoot boots aren't really giving him any relief.