When to retest

Jennifer Green

I’m sure this question gets asked all of the time, but when would the best time to retest Fergus be? Should I wait until he’s been off Thyro-L for a while, or maybe when I’m happier with his overall weight/body score? What body score with you give him right now based on his photos? A 7?

--
J.Green
MA, USA

Sherry Morse

Hi Jennifer,

Have you looked at the body condition scoring guide?  https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki#Case-History-Help  I would put Fergus closer to a 6 than a 7 as he doesn't have a trough down his back and has some good muscle, but you have the ability to put hands on him and feel if he has a hard crest or if the fat over his ribs feels spongy or firm.  What is his current weight?  (Information on how to estimate that is also in the CH help link above).  Even though weight tapes aren't always accurate using one will at least give you a general idea of where he's at right now and then if you measure the same way each time you'll be able to gauge if he's losing weight or not.

As far as testing again, I would want to get him checked sooner rather than later.  Since the Thyro-L has little to no effect on insulin it shouldn't be part of your decision on when to recheck him.

Jennifer Green

I don’t even want to say what the weight tape shows. He originally taped at 1015 lb and now tapes at about 910 lb. he’s only 12.3 hands so those numbers are pretty shocking. The up side is it’s going down, but it still seems like a lot.
--
J.Green
MA, USA
2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Fergus%20Case%20History
CaseHistory@ECIR.groups.io | Album

Kirsten Rasmussen

That's a significant drop in weight already!  Just keep at it.  It takes time.

Now that most of his hay is being soaked, too, you could have his insulin and glucose done again so you can see the effect that, and the other diet changes plus the weight loss, have had.  It's very motivating to see when you are on the right track, and good to know whether or not he would benefit from more dietary changes.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History