Whey/other protein(s) for hypoproteinemic geriatric

Hi group,

My 28yo IR/PPID has been consistently, moderately low in serum albumin/globulins for the past year.  All other bloodwork is good, incl ACTH/insulin/BG (honestly, the best they’ve ever been).  She is concurrently & progressively thinner, first time in her life (QH/draft).  Gets BP/whole oats, green peas, and good 2nd cut grass w more than adequate protein levels (low nitrates).  Her mins are balanced to hay analysis at correct ratios.  Starting to lose teeth (four molars) but has remarkably good dentition for age.  Vet check oral exam every four months w annual radiographic rechecks at Cornell.  Appe excellent (always).  No ventral midline edema or other overt pan-hypoproteinemic signs as yet.

Her weight loss has stabilized on above diet plan, even through summer which has long been hard on her (anhydrosis, and prone to “GI heat ileus” despite drinking well).  Im adding whey to her diet bc her serum proteins aren’t improving (but not worsening).  How much whey is “safe”?  Currently she’s getting 25g protein in 30g/day of whey; and 2 cups split green peas.  Also gets Tri-Amino and a bit of add’l methionine bc my hay sulfur is low-ish.

Other protein suggestions appreciated.  Mare has not done well metabolically on alfalfa in past, but havent dared try it recently.

Thank you,
Kerry in NY
Sept ‘14

Pinky IR/PPID, age 28
Tofurky IR/PPID, age 15, post-founder, fully sound!

I would try adding some TC timothy balance cubes.  At 28, her remaining teeth may be fine, but her jaw musculature might not be adequate for the job, especially since she is PPID.  Those cubes can add weight quickly so keep an eye on her for adjustments to the amount.

Do you have a case history?  Seeing the actual test results would be valuable for us to help.
--

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Hi!  Im updating my CH, which def would be helpful!  She’s on 20# ODTBC/day, softened (refuses slurry), in addition to above.  She’s been on ODTBC her entire life — only past year Ive titrated up to the 20#.  Ill upload all of the bloodwork into CH, as requested.

Much appreciated!
Kerry

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Aging is related to loss of muscle mass independent of PPID https://uknowledge.uky.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1055&context=gluck_etds . Proteins are also often at the lower end of the range but as long as they remain within normal I wouldn't worry about it.

Super, Kerry!  Could you also please put a link to your case history folder into your signature so we know where to find it.  Thanks!