locked Which is best for added energy? More hay or more Stabul 1?

Laura and Pabatsa in CA

My 12-year old Holsteiner mare needs more energy. I just got her results back from Cornell and she is not IR or Cushing's like my gelding Pabatsa. Generally speaking, what would be best to give her a little more energy: Another flake of Timothy at night/or am; or more Stabul 1. She currently gets 3 flakes/day Timothy at about 5-6 pounds and 1/2 cup am/ 1/2 cup pm of Stabul 1. She's schooled 5x's/week in dressage at First/Second Level. I am a Para dressage rider.

Thank you!
--
Laura and Pabatsa in California
Feb 2012

Trisha DePietro

Hi Laura. Because your horse is not IR or PPID...( very glad to hear that!) Your question should be asked on the Horsekeeping page. If you don't know where to find the Horsekeeping page let us know and we can direct further.  :)
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

Kirsten Rasmussen

Edited

Hi Laura,

Short answer is, feed more hay if she will eat it.  If not, you can add in more concentrated forms of calories, like Stabul 1, oats or beet pulp.  You can give her a 50:50 mix of oats and rinsed/soaked/rinsed beet pulp after each workout for example.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History