Whole Chia Seeds and Fecal Water Syndrome

larkstabatha

Hello... I have been following the Horses with Fecal Water Syndrome Facebook page because my Tabby has had frequent bouts of this condition for years now, and on different loads of hay.  A recommendation that has come up a lot lately from that page is from people having good success once a day supplementation with 1/4 cup whole Chia Seeds and 1/4 cup Psyllium, saying that the Seeds have to be whole to be effective as a remedy for this condition.

In doing a search here on Chia Seed, I see Nancy C saying that it needs to be ground to serve as a replacement for Flax.  May I ask for your thoughts on this subject please.  I am currently feeding 2 scoops of CocoOmega for the Flax component of her diet and have added a Half Cup of Psyllium Powder and a heaping scoop of Absorb All to her dinner supplements, along with omitting the additional 1.8 oz of Mag Ox - 65% that Claire recommended to balance her hay.  I like to feed her supplements in a feed bag. and the 2 cups of moistened flax that Dr. Kellon has recommended for this condition makes an incredible gooey and hard to clean mess.

Thank you for your feedback.  Best, Sally
--
Sally in Big Park, Arizona/April 2013

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sally%20with%20Tabby%20and%20Maisie

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Sally,

There is no possible explanation for why whole seeds would be better than ground. They have exactly the same  composition ground or whole. Grinding is necessary to make the fats available and will increase the speed at which the soluble fiber absorbs water.   Chia is not superior to flax in the soluble fiber department - and both of them are inferior to psyllium.

P.S. It may take up to 1 to 2 cups of moistened psyllium, once or twice a day, to get results.

Dr. Kellon already addressed the ground vs. whole part but I would venture to guess that the combination working is more of a coincidence than an actual 'it MUST be this combination to see a difference'.  Of course the only way to know that for sure would be to actually have a study of horses being fed just psyllium vs horses being fed ground chia and psyllium vs. horses being fed whole flax and psyllium.

larkstabatha

Thanks Sherry... I see me doing some experimentation.  I was hoping to reduce the amount of CocoOmega I was feeding by the amount of Ground Chia I was feeding to save some $$.  I think I will start with adding Chia seeds on top of her normal dose of CocoOmega and see if it solidifies her output.  If it does, I will try ground Chia next and back off the amount of CocoOmega I am feeding.  I do not plan on eliminating the Psyllium component in either scenario.

Thanks again..S

--
Sally in Big Park, Arizona/April 2013

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sally%20with%20Tabby%20and%20Maisie

larkstabatha

Oh dear... where is the Edit button?  I did not see Dr. Kellon's earlier replies today before I wrote the above.  Duly noted now that I have gone back.

Thank you, S
--
Sally in Big Park, Arizona/April 2013

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sally%20with%20Tabby%20and%20Maisie

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Regarding the amount of psyllium, if you haven't actually seen the horse's intestinal tract it's hard to appreciate the size. The cecum holds as much fluid as a large kitchen trash can. Here is a picture of the pelvic flexure where the last of three large colon segments joins the small colon https://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/14/2018/06/Sand-colic-1_205379841_295409401.jpg . A 1/4 cup of seeds or psyllium gets lost in there.

Starshine Ranch

OMG!  That picture puts it all in perspective.  Thank you!
--
Linda in CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

larkstabatha

in this case... a picture is definitely worth a thousand words.  Thank you for this insight Dr. Kellon