Whole Chia Seeds and Fecal Water Syndrome Now AniMed MuscleUP Powder

larkstabatha

Dr. Kellon...An interesting conversation started yesterday on the Horses with Fecal Water Facebook page when a member (Stevie Ann) posted there about her coincidental success with her horse's long time FWS when she supplements with one scoop of AniMed Muscle-Up powder per day https://https://valleyvet.cvpservice.com/product/view/basic/1077074/product/view/basic/1077074

One of the other members, Anita Wood, shared her Researchgate,net investigation in to several of the ingredients in this product with some interesting results that Members of that group can read in her comments to this original post.

I would very much appreciate your feedback on the ingredients in this product Dr. Kellon, and whether or not it could safely be fed at a scoop a day to an IR/Cushings horse as an experimental solution to ongoing FWS in horses with no known medical cause.  Thanks so much, Sally

Sally in Big Park, Arizona/April 2013

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sally%20with%20Tabby%20and%20Maisie

Hi, Sally. The tiny amount of most active ingredients in an ounce make me skeptical of claims that AniMed Muscle-Up was responsible for a big improvement in anything. MadBarn has a handy online calculator that's instructive. Adjust the quantity from 1000 gram feeding rate to 29 grams (a generous ounce). https://madbarn.ca/feeds/muscle-up-animed/

One ingredient, Gamma oryzanol, was quite the nutraceutical darling, but I couldn't find anything definitive on Google Scholar. Dr Kellon will know if it has real potential.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Gamma oryzanol is very poorly absorbed.  I once did a field trial of all equine GO products to check for muscle bulking. The only one that had any effect was Equiade's Body Builder.

larkstabatha

Thank you Cass and Dr. Kellon.

Psyllium Husk Powder has gotten so expensive, especially in the quantities needed to help FWS, that I begged to ask the question.  Only on the chance that others on the FWS FB page report back that it has been of help for their equine's fecal water issues to warrant me trying it, I was hoping you might comment about the ingredients in the product being safe to supplement in an IR/Cushing Horse.  See link to product info and ingredient in the first post in this thread.  Thanks again!!  S
--
Sally in Big Park, Arizona/April 2013

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sally%20with%20Tabby%20and%20Maisie

Sally,
You’re right. The price of Psyllium husk has increased dramatically. I used to buy it in bulk from NOW. It’s about 55 cents/ounce today at $86 for 10 pounds.  However, I don’t see the point in spending a penny on a jumped up supplement that contain minuscule quantities of supplements. Better to save that money and buy the thing you know works.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator
Cayuse and Diamond Case History Folder

Sally,

There's nothing more expensive than a product which doesn't work.

larkstabatha

Point well taken.  Thank you.  I wonder if any of the horses owned by the members of the FWS FB Group will improve on the AniMed product just because of the Placebo Effect.in their owners? :(