Topics

Willow test results, x-rays and exercise recommendation

Pat

Hello,

Will saw vet for second time on Oct 4 and vet says laminitic episode has passed. Took x-rays, these are posted in her album. We see a slight rotation.
Vet took blood tests; results are in the Oct 26 case study. Non-IR by lab ranges, compensated IR via calculator.

We have been walking her for 20-30 mins 3-4 days per week until this weekend. On Oct 4 vet ok'd her for 20 mins riding, 5 mins trot in her boots. We've done that once.
Last week she seemed sore one day but after a day or two of boots, is ok again.

Trims and hoof reshaping ongoing.

It looks like we are road to recovery, with proper hay, proper supplements but I just wanted to see what you thought of the x-rays and the recommendation for exercise. I'd like to keep her at the 20 mins max 3-4 times per week (in boots) for a few months I think.

Thanks!
Pat
--
Pat
August 2020

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Pat,

Thanks for adding the rads.

There is no bony column rotation but there is a slight bit of capsular rotation - which is a trim issue due to her much-too-long toes. Heels are underrun as well. There appears to be some sinking, which goes along with the thin soles. Some arthritic changes on P2 as well.

Until the trim gets optimized, I wouldn't recommend formal exercise as it is going to exacerbate the pull on the laminar connections from the long toes, causing more damage.

Definitely should keep her in padded boots until the sole depth increases, which won't happen until the toes are shortened.

Sorry, but I don't see a 10-26 case history for her in your file.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Pat

Thanks! Good to know.  I don't mind not doing a lot of exercise but other people sure worry about it.  I think I will have 10 mins of hand walking, ten mins of riding (just so she doesn't forget) and no trotting.  At least until after Christmas.

There was a trim done just after the x-rays were taken. Another scheduled soon.

When I click on my case history link in my signature, I see three case histories, the first one (no date), one dated Oct 14 and the one dated Oct 26. Can you see any of them or just not the Oct 26th one?

Her test results were:
Glucose 7.13
Insulin 14.4

Calculator says:
Gi 7.13
Risqi 0.26
Mirg 5.8

--
Pat
August 2020
Metro Vancouver BC Canada
Case: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Pat%20and%20Willow
Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=253325

Pat

I've got her on tested hay, with amino trace + and j-herb, flax, salt.
Regardless of her tests, I intend to keep her on this diet and no grazing. Forever.  (-:
--
Pat
August 2020
Metro Vancouver BC Canada
Case: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Pat%20and%20Willow
Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=253325

Lorna Cane

Hi Pat,

I'll be interested in what Lavinia has to say, and am totally happy to be corrected , but my interpretation of the exercise you are planning to continue with falls into the 'formal' category,which Lavinia mentions.
If she were mine, until her trim has been addressed, I'd  let her move around as she sees fit, and definitely not ride her. (I'd bet big money she won't forget 😊)

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Pat

Ah! I think I had read under guidelines on exercise somewhere that anything under 30 mins with no sweat didn't count. I was probably misinterpreting it - I get now that it doesn't count as exercise from a fitness perspective but might still damage her feet from a soundness perspective.

So many people I run into are so paranoid about not riding horses! At my last barn, two people thought I should ride her when she was right in the middle of the laminitic episode. I was shocked.

Right now she is playing with the baby welsh colt in the paddock next door, running in and out of her stall as he runs in and out of his.  At least, the barn owners tell me it is playing, although some fence keeps getting broken! I hope we don't get asked to leave because it is a very good place.

--
Pat
August 2020
Metro Vancouver BC Canada
Case: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Pat%20and%20Willow
Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=253325

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Pat, I just see the 9-26 case history in your folder.  Good to hear her bloodwork has improved, well done!

I think you'll find people will constantly question what you are doing for Willow if you are following protocols for an IR horse.  Stay strong!  :)

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Lorna Cane

Pat, I can see just one now, posted on Oct. 26.
But  it is identified as Sept  26.
You have, though , entered some October results/ details to it , as you know.

Perhaps ....I don't know....if you update the 'updated' box on the form, and just identify it as 2020 Willow Case History, instead of 2020 Sept. 26 ?
People more tekky than I would know.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Pat

I see - I named it wrong. the 09-26 is meant to be 10-26. Will rename or upload.
--
Pat
August 2020
Metro Vancouver BC Canada
Case: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Pat%20and%20Willow
Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=253325

Pat

Thanks for the support. I will remember your words the next time someone questions me. And the next time... and the next time....  (-:
--
Pat
August 2020
Metro Vancouver BC Canada
Case: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Pat%20and%20Willow
Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=253325

Lorna Cane

It's a neverending story,Pat.
But  lovely when, down the line, people look at Willow, and ask you what you've been doing, she's  looking so good . So happy.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Kirsten Rasmussen

My husband's (non-horseman) opinion is that Shaku "looks like a horse now"!  That's a pretty good testament to how the changes we've made have benefited Shaku.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History