Topics

Winter hay arrived and results are back.

Laura and Ero

Hi - my boarding barn's winter hay (all large squares) arrived. There are three types, although 2 of the 3 appear to be various mixes of grassy/alfalfa. Likely different cuttings or possibly years/fields (but no one is certain). The hay is grown locally (~25 miles away).

Since Ero is likely IR/MBS the barn owner had the farmer drop off two large squares of grassy only "crappy hay" for him. It is quite dusty, but does not to appear to have as much alfalfa as the other options.

I took samples and had all three hay options tested. The results from "sample 1", the 'crappy" grassy-only just came back. From what I'm seeing, the ESC + starch is 17.7 (much too high) and I should continue soaking. Can someone please confirm and also help me understand any of the other information?
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Ero%20and%20Laura/Hay%20Analysis/EroHay_Sample1_11182020.pdf

Note - I'm awaiting results from two other sets of grassy/alfalfa mixes. I'll post when results are back. In the meantime, if I'm soaking all the hay (to be on the safe side), is this grassy hay (soaked) better than a mix of alfalfa/grass if those have have lower ESC+ starch values?

Thanks for review and advice.

--
Laura and Ero

October 2020 | Colgate, WI USA

Ero Case History

Ero Photo Album

gypsylassie

This sample says grass/alfalfa on the test results form, but may just be mislabeled from the lab.  The ESC is 3.1% and the starch is .8, so that should be fine as far as s/s goes, but the iron is high, which is expected since it's dusty.  I'm sure you'll get more feedback on getting that iron balanced, but you don't have to soak this hay.   You can, however, reduce the iron by shaking it out well and/or rinsing it to get the surface iron off.
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

You use the first column of as sampled, so it's only 3.9.  No soaking!  Minerals need a lot of attention though.

Laura and Ero

Dr Kellon, great news on reduced sugars - thanks for the clarification on the data columns (using the % “as sampled”). Will soaking help reduce the high iron as well - or not worth the hassle?

Hoping his current feed is helping with increased copper/zinc (for now, it was a step in better direction). I’ll look to balance the minerals more specifically after getting the other two hay samples back and picking the best hay option. (That timing might align with the Dec NRC+ class.)

--
Laura and Ero

October 2020 | Colgate, WI USA

Ero Case History

Ero Photo Album

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

To reduce iron, simply shaking vigorously or dunking rather than soaking usually works better. You get a free balancing with the course so you can send me the information if you like.

Preview: This hay also has a dangerously inverted calcium:phosphorus ratio. You can decide later whether you want to attach that with supplemental calcium or a high calcium feed, or a combination but for now for every 20 to 22 lbs of hay reduce the hay to 15 pounds and feed 2.5 to 3 lbs (dry weight) of soaked beet pulp to balance that out.

Laura and Ero

Hi Dr. Kellon,

I was about to buy these beet pulp shreds (https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/9c%20Analyses%20of%20Various%20Feeds/1.%20Beet%20Pulp/StandleeBeetPulpShreds-DryNoMolasses.pdf) as an interim option for increased calcium. However, my current hay has high iron and this beet pulp also appears to have very high iron (573 ppm). So while the calcium ratio may improve, I'm concerned that the combined iron would be too much.

I am shaking/rinsing this hay (not soaking). Note- this hay will last 1-2 months and then will be gone so I'll have to switch it to a grassy/alfalfa mix at the barn (which I've sent out for testing and awaiting results.) Now I'm not sure if introducing beet pulp is a good idea for potentially short term, especially if high in iron. Are there better beet pulp options?

My plan is to get all hay samples back (hopefully any day now) and then work with you on picking the best option and balancing to that.

Open to thoughts or alt direction. Thanks!

--
Laura and Ero

October 2020 | Colgate, WI USA

Ero Case History

Ero Photo Album

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

If you thoroughly rinse, soak, then rinse again until clear you can get iron in BP down to around 200. Your other option is a  straight calcium supplement like https://uckele.com/equi-cal.html or use human calcium tablets ground up.