Winter Maintenance for IR Pony - suggestions

Meghan de Bruijn

Hi Group!

Last year after a severe bout of laminitis in March (2020) I joined the group, got my pony on a supurb diet thanks to all the advise, and enjoyed a great summer full of riding. Last November, I moved the pony to Nevada where the temperatures were considerably warmer and no snow so he could continue to recover and hopefully avoid a bout of winter laminitis again. This summer has also been very successful with diet, trim, exercise and no need for drugs! My plans were to take my pony to S. Utah again this winter to help with winter symptoms of laminitis, same as I did last year, but we may be moving to Idaho instead. With all that said, what are some preventative measures I can take to ensure he has a healthy winter? He will be in a barn (stall at night, turnout during the day), we have an indoor arena so I can still work him. I have Back On Track Quick Wrap boots I have put on him in the past and can also get the bell boots for him to wear when not in turn out. Should I add something like Jiaogulan to his diet as well? What are some winter hacks you all have used to successfully manage IR horses in the winter?

Thanks in advance!
--
Meghan B 2022
Park City, Utah

Napoleon Case History  Link:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Meghan%20and%20Napoleon

Napoleon Photo Link:

Winter laminitis prophylaxis:

- wrap the lower legs
- socks on the hooves inside boots
- AAKG https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/Pain%20Medication%20and%20Alternatives/Jiaogulan,%20Nitric%20Oxide%20Support,%20AAKG%20and%20Supps/AAKG%20Guidelines.pdf
- Jiaogulan at 1 to 2 tsp twice a day with the AAKG, sometimes more if giving it in food

Jensmccabe

In addition to leg wraps I found Soft Ride boots to be really helpful during the winter months.

That and “blanketing up” making sure even with a sheet Odin almost always has a neck wrap (definitely at night).

I give his meds etc. in a warm water mash in the winter as well.
--
Jen McCabe
Laytonsville, Maryland

Meghan de Bruijn