Woody case history

Chris Hanson

Hi,
I’m not sure if I’m posting on the right board here for these questions but here goes (apologies if this should be posted in a different spot):
I’m on a Mac laptop that is not able to run its normal Word programs so I’ve put together my horse Woody’s history on a Google drive.

I was not able to open the program suggested for Mac users on my laptop (didn’t try it on my phone, there’s a thought…).

when I finished a lot of the history I saved it in Word to my laptop and loaded it from there to ECIR website.

one more apology…the link to Woody’s file that I uploaded is on my laptop and I won’t be able to add to this message until this evening.

Chris
--
Chris H in CA 2021

Chris Hanson

Here is the link to the case history: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Woody%20and%20Chris
Are the posted histories supposed to be in a version that can be updated after they are posted? Mine seems to be something that downloads when I try to update it.

--
Chris H in CA 2021

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Chris,

Can you please add the link to your Case History to your auto-signature?

Here are the instructions:

1) Go to this link to amend your auto-signature: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/editsub

2) Look at the bottom of that page for the window where you typed in your name, general location, and year of joining, and paste your Case History link below it.

NOTE: If/when you are adding a link to your Case History or photos, make sure you make it "live". Adding a space after your link or hitting enter on your keyboard will turn it blue.

3) Make sure you have checked the 2 boxes saying "Use Signature for Web Posting" and "Use Signature for Email Posting”.

4) IMPORTANT: Scroll to the bottom and hit SAVE!

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Kirsten Rasmussen

Edited

No, you cannot edit your Case History without downloading it.  However, you should keep the Word version on your computer so you can update it as needed there, and only upload a PDF copy.  Many Mac users will not be able to view your word document, and viewing Word docs on any mobile device is not ideal.  For example, on my tablet I am unable to see the far right side of your Word doc.  I'd have to be on a computer to read it properly.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada
ECIR Group Moderator

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Sherry Morse

Hi Chris,

When was Woody's ACTH last checked?  Is that the 40.7 reading? Was he already on Prascend at the time?  Has his insulin been checked since his diet has changed?  Is the beet pulp being rinsed/soaked/rinsed?  As he's currently overweight you may want to re-evaluate his current feeding plan and stop the timothy pellets and LMF and decrease or stop the beet pulp as well.  You can use the timothy balance cubes for feeding supplements or use a minimal amount of beet pulp for that and decrease the amount of cubes as they are more calorie dense than hay.  Is the current amount of hay an actual amount or an estimate?

Chris Hanson

Hi,
a lot of these questions will have answers when I can get my comments section done. In meantime I’ll do some formatting stuff and can answer some things here…

When was Woody's ACTH last checked?
it was checked during the summer and is (and has been) due for recheck. In meantime my vet did his shots (1 a week) first and blood test is test.

  Is that the 40.7 reading? No, it was higher than that, it’s a different test.

Was he already on Prascend at the time? no, and I had to push to get him tested because he shed out fine.

Has his insulin been checked since his diet has changed? not yet, that’s on the list with ATCH, glucose and leptin.

Is the beet pulp being rinsed/soaked/rinsed?  yes, till water is clear—lots of buckets of water.

As he's currently overweight you may want to re-evaluate his current feeding plan and stop the timothy pellets and LMF and decrease or stop the beet pulp as well.  You can use the timothy balance cubes for feeding supplements or use a minimal amount of beet pulp for that and decrease the amount of cubes as they are more calorie dense than hay.  Is the current amount of hay an actual amount or an estimate?
the hay is weighed in a bag.

--
Chris H in CA 2021

Chris Hanson

One other thing that you can’t see in my history is that I’ve put a screen up along one fence line because Woody was getting a good amount of spilled barn hay—though no one has ever seen him put his head through the fence. Once the screen went up he was much more stable, and it was clear by his tempts to deconstruct the fence that he had been eating everything that dropped from the food truck. The barn was feeding hay heavy with clover at the time.
--
Chris H in CA 2021

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Chris,

We no longer recommend doing the leptin, so save yourself that cost.

Shedding out is generally a later-term symptom of PPID. Muscle loss, esp. across the top line; tendon/ligament issues; recurring infections; increased water intake and urinating; unexplained laminitis can be some of the earlier symptoms.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Chris Hanson

Thanks Lavinia!
it was the increase in urine that pushed me to insist that he be tested last seasonal rise. That and an old lower back issue that didn’t respond to what used to help him with a bodywork protocol.

He’s always had an odd amped up muscle thing that happens with I’m guessing higher sugar based on observation so if he's getting ahold of sugar somewhere he looks like a futurity quarter horse almost instantly.

His hind suspensories have also been much more temperamental the past few years. Adding Tendon EQ has helped some it seems but he needs to get his minerals balanced still.

Hopefully in June I can a quantity of hay that can get balanced. The bulk of his diet has by default become the Timothy cubes so at least they are balanced.
--
Chris H in CA 2021

Chris Hanson

The reason I mention the amped up muscles is that if he is getting less sugar in his diet his gluteals feel like a water bed with no one on it. With sugar in the picture the muscles are more like a water bed with one or two people laying on it.
--
Chris H in CA 2021

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I'm not sure I follow the water bed analogy but the changes in hindquarter muscle tone with dietary indiscretion are almost certainly from shifting the weight off sore front feet and onto his hindquarters.

Chris Hanson

Thanks Dr. Kellon,
Perhaps a different analogy will make more sense.
its all of his muscles, neck, back, legs and without being frivolous I’d say even his eye lids.

its like adding something to a drink and turning my Arabian into an instant Quarter Horse.

I know the stance you talk about though, I think I’ve heard it described as a “goat on a rock”.

Chris

Chris H in CA 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Woody%20and%20Chris