Topics

Wormer possible cause of pulses in feet ?

e777ans@...

My Irish Draft X is IR.  Her weight is under control and she lives out on a hardcore track.  Nothing has changed recently in her diet.  We wormed her on Thursday last week with double dose Embotape (Pyrantel Embonate) after Equisal test suggested a moderate tapeworm load.  She was well on Sunday and Monday but by Tuesday had pulses (fairly mild but still pulses) and some warmth in both front feet.  Could this be a reaction to the wormer ? She is due for annual flu jab tomorrow.  Should I put this off - or do without it altogether ?  Your thoughts and experience would be welcome please.
--
E Sarah Howell

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

It could be a reaction to the death of the parasites (not to the drug itself). Assuming she has a history of laminitis, I'd delay or skip the flu vaccine.

www.drkellon.com  Tis The Season 2 for 1 Sale
EC Owner 2001

e777ans@...

Thank you so much. That hadn't occurred to me.  Two days on green clay in her feed and pulses are gone.  She stomped out of her box tonight and trotted off down the track for turnout very keen and looking like a different horse.  Think she's feeling much better !
--
E Sarah Howell