Worming protocol

Kathy Graves

What is the latest suggestion for worming schedule, types of wormer, etc.?

Thank you.

Kathy Graves

--
Kathy Graves
Yreka, California

Sherry Morse

Sharon Bice

Hi again! My horses have not been dewormed in over a year as they have not been with me, they were living in a 18 horse herd. Now I understand why that’s not a good idea - after doing a lot of reading here!

I still don’t quite understand if I should just start the Ivermectin and then double dose starting two weeks later (a period of two weeks apart) of Strongid starting now for this issue, or if there is a different protocol for horses that haven’t been dewormed or unknown history.

Would you recommend I repeat this quarterly or in the spring and fall only? They live at my home on 12 acre pasture, & are healthy. I am excited and looking forward to Dr. Kellon’ s short coarse, but would like to get them healthy now. Thanks!

Here’s what I found from Sherry as an example:

April 1: Ivermectin - also is this Ivermectin only or can it include Praziquantel or other things?

April 15: Strongid double dose
April 29: Strongid double dose

Thank you!
--
Sharon Bice
December 2020    Sandia Park, New Mexico

Taillight's Case History:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Taillight%20Case%20History

Taillight's Photo Album:

You said they weren't living with you but it looks like are now? Is that correct? How many horses on that 12 acres?

celestinefarm

Sharon,
If you haven't had a fecal done on your horses and don't know their worm burden you should ask your vet what parasites seem to be prevalent in your area and what wormer you should start with. As your horses are adults, you have a better safety margin, so you can probably start with Ivermectin. Ivermectin does not kill tapeworms. Tapeworms are killed by prazinquantel or double dose strongid.
The reason PPID/IR horses are encouraged to be wormed by double dose Strongid is because Prazinquantel has been shown in other species to increase insulin. We don't know for certain it does this in horses and many of us have used prazinquantel without problems, but in horses with difficult to control insulin using Strongid is safer.
New Mexico is hot and dry and tapeworms may not be a concern. That is why you should have your vet involved regarding worming protocols.
If this were my horse, I would not worm with Ivermectin then two weeks later worm with Strongid and then again with Strongid. Wormers are generally safe, but can create side effects, especially if there is a large parasite die off. I would wait at least a month to worm again, even with Strongid( pamoate pyrantel) and would try to find out what I was dealing with first.
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Sharon Bice

2 horses total now. They are back and home with me as we were living out of the country for a year.