WSC/ESC/NSC

Thurstonjs@...

Hi, I am a bit confused about the values for the above. I was going by ESC + starch but then read on an extension site about reading a hay analysis that NSC's (WSC + starch) 12% and higher is not good to feed an IR horse. If I go by ESC + starch I'm within the range (.7 starch, 8.1 ESC) but if I look at WSC 12.1% +.7 starch I am in trouble.
--
Jackie Thurston
Suffolk, VA 2021

Lorna Cane

Hi Jackie,

If you put WSC into the Search box you will get  a lot more information. But (from Dr. Kellon) "you don't want to add WSC + starch.  WSC includes fructans which do not influence insulin. Add ESC + starch. That number should be under 10."

You're good.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Thurstonjs@...

Whew, thank you, Lorna! I will also search for WSC.
--
Jackie Thurston
Suffolk, VA 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jackie%20and%20Rose