locked Yucca in small amounts?

Nancy C

Hi Jenna

It's impossible to say for your individual situation without a diagnosis.

Here's a list of posts from the archives on Yucca from Dr Kellon. It is not recommended for horses with PPID and high insulin.

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/search?p=created%2C0%2C%2C1%2C2%2C0%2C0&q=posterid%3A58231+yucca

--
Nancy C in NH

Nancy C

I understood the question.

Yucca is contraindicated with PPID and high insulin.

More in the link I provided.

--
Nancy C in NH

Nancy C

Thank you Jenna. I'm sorry you are taking them as being rude.  Let me clarify my comments. Please understand as I type this there is no "tone" in my response.

I absolutely know you did not get the answer you were looking for.

Your general question was "can one feed a tiny bit of yucca" without detriment. I answered that one needed a diagnosis to know and added links to posts by Dr. Kellon to support my response, one of which gives the answer then quoted in all my posts on this thread.

Yucca is contraindicated with PPID and high insulin.

Here's the link again for further reading:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/search?p=created%2C0%2C%2C1%2C2%2C0%2C0&q=posterid%3A58231+yucca

To know if "a little bit is too much"  you need a diagnosis.

Glad you are going on Monday.  As Sherry suggests in the Hoof Boot thread, best results are from blood taken in a quiet barn, without travel. If you have to travel, make sure you allow plenty of time for him to acclimate. Take a buddy if you can.

--
Nancy C in NH

celestinefarm

Jenna, if you want a blanket answer to your original question, it is that yes, the risks with Yucca outweigh the benefit of devils' claw with yucca.  There are several devil's claw preparations without yucca that are available making the risks using it in PPID and IR horses unacceptable. Period.
Nancy was not being rude. We often find people rephrase questions when they don't like the answer they received in order to receive an answer they prefer. The mods and Dr. Kellon will not do that here and you should appreciate that as you can rely on their answers as truthful and direct.
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Jenna,

I'm not sure why you think Nancy is being rude when she answered your question.  We do not recommend yucca for horses with PPID and elevated insulin.  If you want to do a risk/benefit analysis for your horse that is your choice; but your result may be different than that of somebody else.  As the owner of an IR horse I would choose to give a product free of yucca - just to provide a real life example; but you may decide to use a supplement with yucca and see how your horse responds.  That's not a decision we can make for you; we can just let you know what our recommendation is and the link provided has more information on why that is our recommendation.
--

Thanks,
Sherry and Scutch (and Scarlet over the bridge)

PA 2014

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sherry%20and%20Scutch_Scarlet/Scutch%20Case%20History.pdf

morrisjennamarie@...

Edited

All I wanted to know was whether small amounts are potentially okay or if it should if should be avoided altogether. I didn’t rephrase my question because I didn’t like the answer, I rephrased it because I didn’t feel that it had been answered. I was worried maybe it was misunderstood. I really don’t appreciate the implication that I reworded it because I didn’t like the answer that was given, I just wanted a direct answer without being snapped at.

A simple “no, they are not okay in moderation and should be avoided altogether” or a “yes but feed with caution” would have sufficed. I hate having to jump through hoops to get a direct answer to a simple question.
--
Jenna
Texas

To clarify even further, we have no idea what a "small amount" or "moderation" is in terms of Yucca hormonal effects. It is the major ingredient in Devil's Claw Plus, as well as Buteless and in STP. If you have a horse with known metabolic/insulin issues and choose to play Russian Roulette, that's your business, but we won't ever recommend use of Yucca. There are Devil's Claw alternatives that do not contain it.

morrisjennamarie@...

Dr. Kellon, what are the alternatives that don’t contain it? I can’t find any.
--
Jenna
Texas
Member since Aug. 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Pepper%20&%20Jenna

Do a Google search for "Devil's Claw Bulk"

celestinefarm

Nancy C

Edited

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 02:52 PM, <morrisjennamarie@...> wrote:
A simple “no, they are not okay in moderation and should be avoided altogether” or a “yes but feed with caution” would have sufficed. I hate having to jump through hoops to get a direct answer to a simple question.
One more time Jenna you are not being snapped at.

Please understand any thread on this group is not just about you. With over 9000 members it is necessary to supply complete answers.

Please end this thread so we all may move on to other horses, issues and questions.

--
Nancy C in NH